During the month of December, I love to cook several little things that remind me of Christmas and my childhood. This year, I’ve decided to make star-shaped cookies and to decorate them in a festive way. It’s really pleasant to have little treats available around the house, and you can also offer them to your friends and family during the holiday season. However, I must confess that I had imagined these Christmas cookies red rather than pink, but my food coloring was obviously too diluted. I still obtained pretty stars that can also be perfect for other events, such as a birthday party or a baby shower. I let you discover the recipe !
THE INGREDIENTS (for 30 to 40 medium cookies)
– 500g of flour
– 250g of sugar
– 250g of butter
– 4 eggs
– ground cinnamon
– 200g of icing sugar
– lemon juice
– food coloring
– things to decorate your cookies
1. Cut the butter into pieces and let it soften as much as possible.
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, the sugar, a tsp of cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Add the butter and work the mixture with your fingers until you obtain a really sandy and crumbly dough, like on the picture above.
3. Pour the content of your bowl on your table or kitchen top. Add 2 egg yolks (keep the whites, you will need them for the icing) and two whole eggs.
4. Work the dough with your hands until you obtain a smooth ball like here. Then, you just have to spread the dough. Be carreful to keep it quite thick so your cookies won’t break.
5. With a cookie cutter, cut the forms you like. Then, do an other ball with the remaining dough and repeat.
6. Put your cookies on a baking tray covered with baking paper and cook them at 200°C during approximately 15 minutes.
1. Mix the icing sugar, the two egg whites, a few drops of lemon juice and some food colouring of your choice. If the mixture is too liquid, you can thicken it by adding a bit of flour or corn starch.
2. Once your cookies baked and cold, cover them with the icing and add some decorations. I personally used edible golden powder and flakes and sugar confetti.