Mangos are probably my favourite fruit, but I don’t buy them very often, let alone cook them. But when I found some in my supermarket the other day, I immediately wanted to try an original recipe, which would perfectly marries the exoticism of the mango with the classic taste of the berry, on a layer of pastry cream. The association between the soft cream and mango and the crunchy blueberries was exactly what I had expected, so I’m sharing the recipe with you !
To bake your mango and blueberry pie,
you will need : (for 6 persons)
for the pie :
– 1 egg
– 125g of butter
– 260g of flour
– 110g of powdered sugar
for the pastry cream :
– 3 egg yolks
– 50g of powdered sugar
– 4 tbsp of flour
– 30 cl of milk
for the topping :
– 2 very ripe mangos
– 150g of fresh blueberries (or defrosted)
3. Pour the dough on your table top and add the butter bits by bits, with the palms of your hands. You must obtain a smooth, unsticky dough. If needed, you can add a bit of flour.
4. Form a ball, wrap it with transparent film, and put it in the fridge for one hour.
9. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium heat while constantly stiring. The cream is going to become thicker quite quickly, and will look a lot more like pastry cream.
10. When it starts boiling, leave it for about 30 more seconds, while stiring. Then, pour the cream into a bowl that you will cover with transparent film. Put that bowl into a bigger bowl full of ice-cold water, so that the cream can cool off.
11. When the pie dough is ready to be taken out of the fridge, spread it on your table top covered with flour, and then put it into a buttered mould. Don’t forget to pierce the bottom of the pie with a fork ! Put it in the oven for approximately 25 minutes, at 180°C (thermostat 6).
12. Meanwhile, wash the blueberries and peel the mangos. Since mine were really ripe, I chose to make a sort of puree out of them, but you can also slice them, like an apple.
13. Once the pie out of the oven and cold, cover the bottom with a layer of (cold) pastry cream.
14. Then, cover the cream with a layer of mango puree. Finish by arranging the blueberries as you like !
Bon appétit !