My family-in-law is russian, and if there’s one thing russian people like to do, it’s cooking traditional dishes… before devouring them. And I’m happy about that, because the dishes I’ve tried were delicious ! Since my brother-in-law and his girlfriend are at our place for the holidays, I had the chance to watch them cook several recipes. I’ve decided to share with you the russian pelmenis recipe, a kind of ravioli stuffed with meat that you eat with fresh cream… A dish that our eastern friends swear by, and so do I.
(for 5 to 7 persons, or about 70 pelmenis)
– 600g of flour (I’m not sure about the quantity, and I think we used more than 600g… you can still add more flour if you realise your dough is not elastic enough)
– 2 eggs
– a glass of water
– 400g of ground beef
– 400g of ground pork (use 800g of beef if you don’t want to eat pork)
– an onion
– 2 garlic cloves
– one handful of dill
– some spices, according to your taste
– salt, pepper
– fresh cream
1. Pour the flour in a bowl and make a well in the center.
2. Add a pinch of salt, the two eggs and a big glass of water.
3. Mix everything in order to create an elastic dough. Add more flour – or water – if necessary.
4. Form a ball with the dough and let it rest while you prepare the stuffing.
5. Mix the pork and the beef together. Finely chop the onion and add it to your meat.
6. Thanks to a garlic-press, add two garlic cloves.
7. Finally, finely chop a handful of dill and add it to the meat. Add salt, pepper and a small amount of spices if you want to.
8. Now, you just have to mix everything. Reserve in the fridge.
9. Spread the dough in a very thin layer (about 3 mm).
10. Cut circles into the dough, with a large glass for example. Repeat the process until all the dough has been used.
11. Then, put a small amount of meat on your circles with a fork.
12. It is now time to create your pelmenis : first, close the circle to create a semi-circle shape. Then, join the two tips together.
13. Once your pelmenis are done, put them in the freezer until they are frozen (during at least one to two hours). This will keep them from drying out. After that, cook them in salty boiling water during 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the dough and the amount of meat inside the pelmenis.
14. Eat them with fresh cream, it’s delicious !