THINGS TO SEE AND DO IN GOZO
If visiting Malta is on your bucket list (it should be !), you might wonder what are the things to see and do in Gozo, which is such a tiny island ! In this post, I’m telling you all about the places to see, with the help of a really practical map I prepared for you, and which you can print !
This map is simplified : you won’t find every village of Gozo on it, only the most important ones. With several colorful icons, I pointed out the main activities and the places to visit. This map is really useful to help you plan a trip on the island, or to go there unexpectedly.
The cities and villages of Gozo
● Mgarr is the harbour where you will arrive thanks to the ferry, and also from where you will leave Gozo.
● You can stay at the Grand Hotel right in front of the harbour, and enjoy really nice fish restaurants.
● The beautiful village of Qala (my favourite) has a lot of restaurants. I wrote a complete post about the restaurants there.
● The scuba diving club Blue Waters will welcome you nicely ! They are situated down the street I used to live in during my first 6 months in Gozo.
● In Nadur, you can practice your shooting skills at the Gun Blast Shooting Range ! Between friends, as a couple or with your family, you can (re)discover this sport.
● After this, let’s eat ! You will find my favourite restaurant, the Fliegu. The decor is beautiful, the second floor offers an amazing sea view, the dishes are delicious and the prices are really good. I advise you to book your table, it’s always full…
● Don’t go to Gozo without visiting the temples of Ggantija ! They are older than the egyptian pyramids and are listed as UNESCO world heritage. You can read my post about this place here.
● Just near the site, you can visit the museum of toys.
● This small harbour is really popular among the tourists ! You will find several hotels there, or flats to rent. There are a lot of bars and restaurants, it’s the perfect place if you like to go out a lot. My favourite is the Beppe’s.
● You can also scuba dive, here or there for example.
● If you want to sail, you will find boats on the harbour, for a tour of Gozo, or to go to the small island of Comino.
● You can also discover the biggest salt pans of Gozo.
● Go visit the beautiful Saint John the Baptist church in Xewkija ! This is the biggest church of Gozo (nothing less).
Sannat – Ta Cenc (“ta chench”)
● In Sannat, you can stay at the amazing Ta Cenc Hotel, have a lunch there or just enjoy the spa.
● If you like walking, the Ta Cenc cliffs or the Sannap cliffs are something you need to see…
● Here, you can spend a nice evening in the most beautiful night club of the island, la Grotta : the place is in open air, with a view over the cliffs. Two euros for a beer, two euros fifty for a shot, I’ve seen worse.
● In Xlendi, you can enjoy a lot of bars and restaurants, just near the sea.
● You can find small boats to go tour the island.
Victoria or Rabat, the capital
● You will find the bus station to go wherever you want on the island.
● You can also go to the tourist office (Pjazza I-Indipendenza).
● Visit the Citadel, which has just been restored.
● I advise you to go see the Saint Georges basilica (Pjazza San Gorg), the ceilings are gorgeous.
● If you are tempted by a movie night, the most recent international movies are playing at the Citadel Cinema (in english, without subtitles).
● A lot of restaurants, bars… I really like the Maldonado Bistro (a delicious italian, try their bruschetta), The Grapes (bar/snack/maltese dishes), the Kozmo (without fuss but really good, with a really large selection of wines).
● Grocery shops, supermarkets, malls (Arkadia, The Duke)…
● A lot of gifts shops and traditional shops.
● The hospital is situated on the east side of the city. I hope you won’t need this information, but you never know…
● You have to visit The beautiful Ta Pinu shrine ! Gentlemen, wear pants, ladies, cover your shoulders.
● You can stay at the beautiful Kempinski hotel.
● Go see the famous Azure Window, this window over the horizon… An amazing place to take pretty pictures, some couples even get married there at sunset !
● Just near, the Inland Sea, quite impressive.
● Even if you won’t find a proper beach, you can still swim there, or scuba dive.
The beaches of Gozo
You can read my post about the main beaches of Gozo. I’m sharing a lot a useful details, maps, and beautiful pictures.
Hondoq Bay (Qala)
● Beach, deckchairs and parasols, snack/bar, boating activities (kayak, canoë, jet ski…), or boat rides to go to Comino.
San Blas Bay (Nadur)
● Beach (the access is a bit difficult), small snack.
● Large beach of red sand, deckchairs, parasols, snacks/bars.
Mgarr Ix Xini (Sannat)
● Small pebble beach, small fish restaurant.
The Saint John the Baptist rotunda in Xewkija.
The Ta Cenc cliffs.
The Ggantija temples.
The Marsalforn salt pans.
Visiting Gozo during a day or a weekend only ?
I invite you to check my customized planning so that you can see as many things as possible in a short time !