If visiting Malta is on your bucket list (it should be !), you might wonder what are the things to see and do in Gozo, which is such a tiny island ! In this post, I’m telling you all about the places to see, with the help of a really practical map I prepared for you, and which you can print !
This map is simplified : you won’t find every village of Gozo on it, only the most important ones. With several colorful icons, I pointed out the main activities and the places to visit. This map is really useful to help you plan a trip on the island, or to go there unexpectedly.
The cities and villages of Gozo
● Mgarr is the harbour where you will arrive thanks to the ferry, and also from where you will leave Gozo.
● You can stay at the Grand Hotel right in front of the harbour, and enjoy really nice fish restaurants.
● The beautiful village of Qala (my favourite) has a lot of restaurants. I wrote a complete post about the restaurants there.
● The scuba diving club Blue Waters will welcome you nicely ! They are situated down the street I used to live in during my first 6 months in Gozo.
● In Nadur, you can practice your shooting skills at the Gun Blast Shooting Range ! Between friends, as a couple or with your family, you can (re)discover this sport.
● After this, let’s eat ! You will find my favourite restaurant, the Fliegu. The decor is beautiful, the second floor offers an amazing sea view, the dishes are delicious and the prices are really good. I advise you to book your table, it’s always full…
● Don’t go to Gozo without visiting the temples of Ggantija ! They are older than the egyptian pyramids and are listed as UNESCO world heritage. You can read my post about this place here.
● Just near the site, you can visit the museum of toys.
● This small harbour is really popular among the tourists ! You will find several hotels there, or flats to rent. There are a lot of bars and restaurants, it’s the perfect place if you like to go out a lot. My favourite is the Beppe’s.
● You can also scuba dive, here or there for example.
● If you want to sail, you will find boats on the harbour, for a tour of Gozo, or to go to the small island of Comino.
● You can also discover the biggest salt pans of Gozo.
● Go visit the beautiful Saint John the Baptist church in Xewkija ! This is the biggest church of Gozo (nothing less).
Sannat – Ta Cenc (“ta chench”)
● In Sannat, you can stay at the amazing Ta Cenc Hotel, have a lunch there or just enjoy the spa.
● If you like walking, the Ta Cenc cliffs or the Sannap cliffs are something you need to see…
● Here, you can spend a nice evening in the most beautiful night club of the island, la Grotta : the place is in open air, with a view over the cliffs. Two euros for a beer, two euros fifty for a shot, I’ve seen worse.
● In Xlendi, you can enjoy a lot of bars and restaurants, just near the sea.
● You can find small boats to go tour the island.
Victoria or Rabat, the capital
● You will find the bus station to go wherever you want on the island.
● You can also go to the tourist office (Pjazza I-Indipendenza).
● Visit the Citadel, which has just been restored.
● I advise you to go see the Saint Georges basilica (Pjazza San Gorg), the ceilings are gorgeous.
● If you are tempted by a movie night, the most recent international movies are playing at the Citadel Cinema (in english, without subtitles).
● A lot of restaurants, bars… I really like the Maldonado Bistro (a delicious italian, try their bruschetta), The Grapes (bar/snack/maltese dishes), the Kozmo (without fuss but really good, with a really large selection of wines).
● Grocery shops, supermarkets, malls (Arkadia, The Duke)…
● A lot of gifts shops and traditional shops.
● The hospital is situated on the east side of the city. I hope you won’t need this information, but you never know…
● You have to visit The beautiful Ta Pinu shrine ! Gentlemen, wear pants, ladies, cover your shoulders.
● You can stay at the beautiful Kempinski hotel.
● Go see the famous Azure Window, this window over the horizon… An amazing place to take pretty pictures, some couples even get married there at sunset !
● Just near, the Inland Sea, quite impressive.
● Even if you won’t find a proper beach, you can still swim there, or scuba dive.
The beaches of Gozo
You can read my post about the main beaches of Gozo. I’m sharing a lot a useful details, maps, and beautiful pictures.
Hondoq Bay (Qala)
● Beach, deckchairs and parasols, snack/bar, boating activities (kayak, canoë, jet ski…), or boat rides to go to Comino.
San Blas Bay (Nadur)
● Beach (the access is a bit difficult), small snack.
● Large beach of red sand, deckchairs, parasols, snacks/bars.
Mgarr Ix Xini (Sannat)
● Small pebble beach, small fish restaurant.
The Saint John the Baptist rotunda in Xewkija.
The Ta Cenc cliffs.
The Ggantija temples.
The Marsalforn salt pans.
Visiting Gozo during a day or a weekend only ?
I invite you to check my customized planning so that you can see as many things as possible in a short time !